Jump to navigation Jump to search
Investigative Reporting; Journalism; General Research
- Useful IRE Resources:
- The (Journalist's Toolbox) offers sources for useful information on a wide range of topics of interest, especially to investigative reporters. Topics include protecting sources, privacy, data visualization, digital verification, transcription tools, rights-free photos, mobile journalism, public records, copy-editing, and more.
Audio / Video File Conversion
- Convert restricted sound file formats to something more useful, open and free.
- Does your voice recorder save its sound files in Microsoft's patent-restricted WMA file format? Maybe the article linked-to above will help.
- Audioalter - Your online audio toolkit: A collection of easy-to-use web tools for all your audio files.
- Audioalter is a collection of web tools that you can use to add effects to your audio files. It allows you change speed, volume, pitch, duration and much more.
- - 3D Audio: Make your song sound more 3D by adding a panning effect to it
- - 8D Audio: Use the 8D Audio effect to get the full audio experience
- - Bass Booster: Boost the bass of a song making it more bass heavy
- - Converter: Convert any audio file to another file format
- - Equalizer: Adjust the frequencies of your audio
- - Pitch Shifter: Change the pitch of your audio
- - Reverse Audio: Reverse an audio file and make it play backwards
- - Speed Up / Slow Down: Change the tempo without changing the pitch
- - Stereo Panner: Pan the audio to left or right
- - Trimmer / Cutter: Cut out a part of your audio file
- - Vocal Remover: Remove the vocals from a song leaving only the instrumental
- - Volume Changer: Make your audio louder or quieter
Online File Converters
- 123apps: Includes:
- - PDF Tools: Essential Online PDF Tools
- - Audio Cutter: The easiest way to cut out a piece of music
- - Audio Joiner: Merge multiple audio files into a single track
- - Audio Converter Convert audio files online from one format into another
- - Video Converter: Convert video files online from one format into another
- - Video Cutter: The easiest way to cut out a section of a video
- - Video Recorder: Record video online with your webcam
- - Voice Recorder: Record a voice using a microphone
- - Archive Extractor: Extract any compressed file online
- Convert Multimedia Files: Convert, compress and edit multimedia files (MP4, MOV, MP3, WAV, PDF, PNG, JPEG) online for free with our easy-to-use video, audio and PDF converters.
- Convert Sound Files Online
- Editor's Note: Tuesday, December 29, 2015: Was able to successfully convert WMA file to MP3 using this online service.
Data Journalism & Data Journalism Tools
- Learn from the best, from anywhere, at any moment, at your own pace.
- This guide is aimed at the journo-academic who might be teaching a basic data course for the first time and wants to know where and how to get started.
- A variety of mapping, analysis, scraping, visualization and other tools and tutorials.
- A collection of MaryJo Webster's data journalism training materials, primarily used for a college-level course she teaches at the University of Minnesota.
- List of links to tutorials on Yahoo Pipes, Excel, SQL, Google Refine, Geocoding and more.
- Lists tools for analysis and charting, creating searchable tables, data acquisition, data cleaning, data reformatting, GIS mapping, statistical analysis, visualization and more.
- Increasingly, reporters are turning to Microsoft Excel -- or similar spreadsheet programs like Apple's Numbers -- to advance their reporting. They're using spreadsheets to keep track of city budgets, baseball statistics, campaign finance and hospital data.
- Microsoft Excel is a powerful tool that will handle most tasks that are useful for a journalist who needs to analyze data to discover interesting patterns.
- Based on Steve Doig's workshop “Excel for Journalists”.
- Monthly blog on using spreadsheets in journalism.
- This tutorial describes how to create and do calculations on a Google Docs spreadsheet, with some notations about differences in Microsoft Excel.
Dictation & Transcription
- Chrome App For Online Dictation
- Editor's Note: Monday, December 28, 2015: I tested this app out on my home workstation with my USB headset with microphone. Works well.
- oTranscribe BETA
- Upload Sound File, Play It Back At Any Of Multiple Speeds, Transcribe It
- A free web app to take the pain out of transcribing recorded interviews.
- FREE. Accurate. Fun. No installation, no registration. Simply click the mic and start dictating text. Features auto save, auto punctuation, instant translation & more.
- Speech to Text Online Notepad. Free. The Professional Speech Recognition Text Editor. Distraction-free, Fast, Easy to Use & Free Web App for Dictation & Typing
- Editor's Note: 17:45, 17 January 2016 (PST) I think I like Speechnotes even better than Speechpad.
- Speechpad is a voice recognition application for converting speech to text (a good external microphone is strongly recommended). It can also convert an audio file to text. The current version of Speechpad works only for the Chrome browser.
- Editor's Note: 15:05, 15 January 2016 (PST) Initial test indicates this works pretty well.
- Chrome App For Uploading Sound Files & Transcribing Them To Text
- Editor's Note: Monday, December 28, 2015: I found this while searching for sound file to text transcription services. When I was about to use it, I discovered it's not free (but still worth looking into).
- Another Transcribe-By-Machine Option. Transcribe-By-Human Options, Too
- VoiceBase Turns Your Voice Recordings and Transcriptions into a Searchable Database
- Transcription Hacks & Tutorials
- Transcribe Audio Using YouTube (Hack)
- Data Journalism
- The Data Journalism Handbook can be freely copied, redistributed and reused under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license.
- Data driven journalism was created by the European Journalism Centre (EJC) with partial funding from the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science.